About this blog

I've decided to create this blog as a project space for a course I'm currently taking: Christianity: The Liturgical Year, with Matthew Myer Boulton. The requirements for our final project are as follows (in his words):

(1) a focus on one element or cluster of elements in the Christian year;
(2) a fieldwork component, in which observation, interview, or like methods are employed;
(3) an historical component, placing the case in the context of the Christian year generally and the relevant tradition in particular; and
(4) a theological argument, drawing on resources examined in the course.

The professor is encouraging special attention to 'the arts' and is allowing for an alternative to the standard academic paper. I haven't yet decided on the format for my final project though I am leaning toward a photo essay (I've never done one and will have to research what exactly the phrase "photo essay" encompasses before deciding). In the meantime, I plan to use this space for my thoughts and reflections and hopefully some conversation and sharing of ideas...

2 comments:

Dianna Woolley said...

Somewhat serendipitous that you should comment on my blog today (re Interview MEME) and that I should come here to your liturgical site. I say that because even as we are in Maui for a wonderful time of fun and leisure, I have a writing/art project myself in mind for the season of Lent. I look forward to the offerings you have here on your site and although I'm not "taking a course or getting a grade" I think your journey will be an interesting and inspirational one for me.

e.o.w. said...

Thank you! I'm looking forward to it, especially because I've tended to shy away from it as a religion, thinking about Christianity in abstract terms instead of trusting it as a practice, the liturgy extending us open rather than binding/dividing/judging...